Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Whose Karma?

Living and Dying by the polls... Karma? CBS News poll on Trump impeachment inquiry
 Do you believe in karma?

In Hinduism and Buddhism it's the idea that the sum of a person's actions in this and previous states of existence, decide their fate in future existences.

The Christian concept of destiny or fate is similar and expressed with, "Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall they also reap". (Galatians 6:7-9)

I’m comfortable with the biblical kind of karma. Especially as I glance at today's corporate media headlines replete with talk of a Trump impeachment.

Still, I can't help but think about the past sins of our nation - our dark side as explained in The New York Times Magazine 1619 Project.

The days ahead will reveal whose karma will play out. Will it be our national karma or Mr. Trump's? Or, perhaps both are inextricably bound. We shall see.

In the meantime, I believe in Redemption. Don't you?

Here's a repost from 10 Nov 2017:

Do You Believe in Redemption?

One Sunday morning, a long time ago, I stood next to Mom and listened to her sing her favorite hymn, I Come to the Garden Alone.

I Come to the Garden Alone - Anne Murray - 1999


Back then, for me, it was just a beautiful song and I knew Mom loved singing it.

Today it somehow reassures me of redemption… my belief that we all can be saved from our own sins, the sins of others and evil.

This morning I read Pres. John F. Kennedy’s famous American University “Peace Speech” from 1963. I glanced out the office window and watched, mesmerized, at the beautiful sunrise before me. Suddenly thoughts of that beautiful song came flooding back in my mind.

It occurred to me that it would be a certain "redemptive" miracle if we all could walk in the garden together for a moment or two and consider together how much we do have in common… even people who believe and trust in Pres. Trump and those who do not.

Then I looked at my computer and read:

“So, let us not be blind to our differences—but let us also direct attention to our common interests and to the means by which those differences can be resolved. And if we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity. For, in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children’s future. And we are all mortal.”**

President John F. Kennedy, "Peace Speech" American University - 10 June 1963


I know miracles happen. I’d rejoice if a redemptive, talk and walk together in the garden could be one of them.

*Examples of Bad Karma 
As I see it, Mr. Trump seems to have accomplished all these in just this life:
  • Levying baseless allegations on others.
  • Laughing at somebody’s situation.
  • Taking away somebody’s everything.
  • Taking advantage of somebody’s situation.
  • Doing injustice to others.
  • Spreading lies and hatred.
  • Misuse of authority.
  • Cheating and hurting others.
  • Giving and taking bribe.
  • Being mute spectator and watching injustice happening to others.
  • Hurting others physically, emotionally, and mentally.
  • Being rude to others.
  • Being unfair to others.
  • Forcing and bribing others to do something. Wonderful display of skills. What signal does it send to your family, country?
  • Judging instead of accepting others.
  • Intentionally creating hurdles in others progress.
  • Progress filled with unaccountably and injustice.
  • Hating others


No comments: