Friday, December 16, 2016

The Facts & Integrity Ruled

Dorothy Fuldheim, path blazing journalist and humanitarian.
While I never had the opportunity of working with or even meeting Dorothy Fuldheim she was a major influence in my life and sparked my interest in the “news”.

Like my maternal grandmother, Ms. Fuldheim had her own version of chutzpah, grounded in fact and delivered with crystal clarity. No matter the topic, she voiced her opinion, usually winning over any and all opposition by forcefully declaring it.
Mr. Tom Field

Dorothy Fuldheim , the First Lady of Television News, was the first female commentator for the ABC Radio network, the first woman in the U.S. to anchor a TV news broadcast and host her own show, as well, on channel 5, WEWS, Cleveland. She was 54 years old when she joined TV 5 in 1947... two years before I was born.

I learned most about her by not only watching her programs but most vividly through another of her fans, Mr. Tom Field, longtime news anchor at TV 5. Toward the end of his career, I had the honor of working with Tom and earning his friendship. The facts and integrity ruled TV news back then.... Mr. Tom Field and Ms. Dorothy Fuldheim made certain it was so.

Dorothy Fuldheim 83rd birthday special pt 1


Dorothy Fuldheim 83rd birthday special pt 2



No comments: