Friday, January 6, 2017

It’s All About Bravery


I recently came across one author’s attempt to explain heroism. In Hard-Wired for Heroism, Matthew Sedacca, tried to come up with a scientific reason why people will risk their lives for others. He arrived at the conclusion that risking your life for others is instinctual – like so many mother rats rescuing orphaned baby rats in a lab experiment.

I have often wondered if I had the courage to stay and fight rather than turn tail and evaporate into obscurity.

For instance, could I stay in my foxhole, feet frozen from the bitter cold, my dead friends surrounding me, and keep firing my machine gun at the onslaught of enemy troops about to overrun my position? Would I try to run or ball-up into the bottom of my hole, hoping to be overlooked and given mercy by the enemy?

My father stayed. He kept firing. That was the Battle of the Bulge, WWII. Somehow he survived.


In my mind, the choice has nothing to do with instinct. Rather, it’s all about bravery.

Thank you, France, for awarding the Legion d'Honneur to these four heroes: Spencer Stone, Alek Skarlatos, Anthony Sadler and Chris Norman.



No comments: