Tuesday, June 2, 2020

This Story Has Just Begun

D.C. protesters zip tied and waiting to be loaded into police vans to be taken to jail... so Mr. Trump can have his photo op. (Photo credit: Jay Newton-Small)
Last night there were many heroes in D.C. – all of them citizens, like the rest of us.

Among them were the people who opened their homes to protesters.

Police forced protesters to leave their peaceful protest location near the White House and trapped them on nearby residential streets as they tried to leave. One was Swann Street NW in Washington, D.C.

All were trying to leave the scene after the police started teargassing them. But the police refused to allow them to leave, tapping them, boxing them in at every turn.

Seeing this happening before their eyes, residents opened their homes and helped move people out of harm’s way... only to have police illegally enter their homes and continue teargassing.

Why did this happen. Well, Mr. Trump needed a path cleared of possible protesters, so he could courageously hold his photo op, Bible prop in hand, in front of the closed St. John’s Episcopal Church backdrop.

“All I wanna say is that… The government don't wanna see…”*

This story has just begun, and the days ahead are not going to be pleasant.

— Jay Newton-Small (@JNSmall) June 2, 2020

"All I wanna say is that they don't really care about us."*

“Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?
Your proclamation promised me free liberty, no
I'm tired of being the victim of shame
They're throwing me in a class with a bad name
I can't believe this is the land from which I came
You know I really do hate to say it
The government don't wanna see
But if Roosevelt was living
He wouldn't let this be, no, no”*


*They Don't Care About Us - Michael Jackson – 1995

No comments: