Tuesday, April 25, 2017

My America, Too


I saw this photo / post earlier this morning and wanted you to see it, too. For me it suggests the America I've grown to think is my own... accepting and protective of all people no matter their religious, ethnic or racial heritage. If one can somehow push the propaganda (alternative facts) aside and let your eyes see and your ears hear I hope you will uncover that we are at heart a life-affirming people.

Viral Photo From NYC Subway Captures America At Its Best

“This is my America: people letting people be people.”

By Sarah Ruiz-Grossman

On Sunday, native New Yorker Jackie Summers posted a photo on Facebook and Twitter that appears to show a Jewish man and woman sitting on a New York City subway car next to a Muslim woman in a hijab holding a baby.

The caption Summers wrote on Facebook reads: “A Taoist (me) gives up his seat so a Hasidic couple could sit together. They scoot over so a Muslim mother could sit and nurse her baby, on Easter Sunday. This is my America: people letting people be people.”

The Facebook post had garnered more than 75,000 reactions and 58,000 shares by Wednesday afternoon. People commented on the photo to celebrate the diversity that it reflects, and what that means for the country.

“THIS, is what makes America great and these days I’ve been struggling to find ways to feel good about America,” one person wrote on Facebook. “We, the people...Thank you for restoring a little of my faith in humanity today, Jackie.”

Please go here for the story:
This is my America: people letting people be people, Sarah Ruiz-Grossman, HuffPost, 19 Apr 2017.

Annie - NYC - 1999


No comments: